Product Targeting Strategy – Cross Promotion & Page Defense (Guide)
Listings have tons of ad placements that take up valuable real estate. You’re probably tired of seeing competitor’s ads on your listings, so why not kick them off?
The majority of Amazon advertising impressions come from product pages, yet very few sellers leverage an ASIN defense/cross promotion strategy. Here’s a short list of what defensive product targeting campaigns accomplish:
- Push competition off listings
- Expose repeat customers to other products
- Provide non-committal shoppers another opportunity to convert
- Upsell and move complementary products
- Increase brand awareness
- Improve listing cohesion and aesthetics
- Typically high sales and strong returns
Sponsored Products ASIN Defense
Creating Sponsored Products ASIN defense/cross promotion campaigns is pretty simple since you have a list of pre-determined targets. Here are a few different ad group strategies you may choose to leverage:
- Catch All Approach (e.g. All Products targeting All Products)
- Typically bid lower than other ad groups. There are many product page placements, so can help fill more of the carousel with your own brand. If your products are highly similar, this may be the only ad group needed.
- Top Product Approach (e.g. Top Product targeting All Products)
- Top products with high reviews/ratings. Strong offerings with good conversion rates. Purpose is to get your hero products in front of shoppers that may not commit to weaker offerings, while also pushing out competitors with strong offerings. Can also be used with a more direct substitute approach (described next).
- Substitute Approach (e.g. Product Group 1 targeting Product Group 1)
- This will be your go-to strategy when you have enough different listings of a consistent product type. Direct substitutes perform better than more diverse cross-category ads/targets. If you don’t have enough listings, think about other similarities (e.g. color, audience, etc.)
- Complementary Approach (Product Group 1 targeting Product Group 2)
- Use this strategy to supplement the Substitute Approach. Often use when there aren’t many substitutes and can’t fill the carousel with same category products. Increases awareness and units per order.
- Upsell Approach (High Cost Product targeting Low Cost Substitute)
- Upsell cross promotion is effective when you have high end offerings similar to low price offerings.
Example Products: Pens, Pencils, Pencil Sharpeners
Sponsored Display ASIN Defense
One major opportunity that most sellers (and agencies) miss is to leverage Sponsored Display product targeting for ASIN defense/cross promotion. Because SD placements are so prominent (especially on mobile), conversion rates are extremely high. As an added benefit, not as many sellers take advantage of Sponsored Display, so CPC is often lower than other ads.
Leveraging Sponsored Display for cross-promotion is relatively simple: Mirror your Sponsored Products campaigns. Doing so provides two benefits: 1. Ease of creation – you’ve already designed the Sponsored Products campaigns, so reuse the same structure; 2. Integration of data – when SP and SD campaigns, ad groups, ads and targets align, performance can be evaluated as a series (combine data to make better decisions).
Sponsored Brands ASIN Defense
There are fewer Sponsored Brands product targeting placements than with Sponsored Products, but SB cross promotion campaigns still tend to perform well. Much like Sponsored Display, we find that fewer sellers and agencies take advantage of Sponsored Brands Product Targeting.
The most prominent SB product targeting placement appears under the “Brands related to this category on Amazon” heading on product pages. We recommend leveraging storefronts over product collection landing pages for cross promotion since storefronts allow more unique content that helps convert shoppers into buyers.
Case Studies for ASIN Defense/Cross-Promotion
Targeting your own ASIN with product targeting often produces dramatic results. In the example below, our ASIN Defense campaign produced $514k ad sales at just 11.3% ACoS in 8 months. In this case, we leveraged a combination of Substitute, Top Product, and Upsell cross promotion tactics to dramatically increase conversion rates, which is a staggering 37% in this campaign.
- Target your own ASIN with product targeting campaigns
- Benefits: Less competition, cleaner listings, more exposure, more sales
- Sponsored Products will make up the majority of volume, solid ACoS
- Sponsored Display should NOT be overlooked. Amazing ACoS
- Sponsored Brands won’t drive much volume, but easy to create and also produces good results
- When all three types are used together for a cohesive ASIN defense strategy, the results are phenomenal
Also check out these related articles: Amazon Product Targeting Ads: Another Tool To Increase Market Share and Amazon PPC Strategy: The Basics