How do you find keywords and product targets for your campaigns? What do you need to do to populate highly relevant and top converting keywords for new or existing products?
Finding the right keywords or products to target is critical to the success of your campaigns.
In this episode, we walk through strategies to build on your funnel structure to automatically feed keywords and product targets downstream.
Keyword Research for Amazon Sponsored Products – New Product Launch:
As the owner of your products, you have valuable insights and detailed information about the specific attributes of your products. These characteristics will act as the perfect jumping off point to help you put together your list of keywords.
So, where do you start? We recommend taking a targeted approach by focusing only on your high relevant keywords. These high relevant keywords will come from questions that you ask yourself, like “If I was searching for this product, how would I find it?” Then, make a list of 10-20 top keywords you would use when answering that question.
Another way to source keywords for your new products is by taking a close look at the listing title. These words are the likely the most relevant to your products and you’ll be able to segment product attributes and use those as keywords. When you focus on the title of your listings and source keywords from the title, customer searches will be closely related to your listing, triggering an impression and increasing the odds of a click-through and conversion.
How to research keywords and product targets for existing products on Amazon:
- Search Term Reports: These reports show real customer insights and behaviors that can help find unique keywords and new targeting strategies as your campaigns mature. We recommend taking these keywords and filtering them further along the campaign funnel to your manual campaigns, where you’ll have a lot more control to improve performance.
- External Tools: External tools can provide you with a broad net of keywords. That being said, make sure you take a minute to sift through your findings to make sure they’re relevant. One tool we utilize quite often is Helium 10, specifically their ASIN grabber feature. This tool is very useful in finding new product targets to add to your manual campaigns.
- Brand Analytics Search Terms Report: This search term report showcases a list of the highest search terms on Amazon. Using this list, you can take a seed keyword related to your product and type that in the report, where you’ll be able to filter through a bunch of variations of that term that shoppers are searching for.
- Brand Analytics Market Basket Report: These reports show the products that are frequently purchased with your product. As such, this can be a great way to find new complementary product targets to add to your campaigns.
- Brand Analytics Item Comparison Report and Alternative Purchase Reports: These reports also produce very useful data that you can filter to find great substitute product targets.
- Utilizing Suggestions Directly from Amazon: Product target suggestions from Amazon are based on a lot of data and algorithms. With Amazon owning the biggest data set and continually improving its algorithms, these suggestions can be a great way to discover different product targets.
- Category targeting with modified attributes: When category targets are added to your manual campaigns, you’ll typically see mixed results across your catalog. One way to make sure those category targets perform is to use price modifiers, such as including a price point higher than your product, which will typically fine-tune your results.
- Finding the right keywords or products to target is critical to the success of your campaigns.
- For new products, start with utilizing highly relevant keywords found the product title as well as your own in-depth understanding of the unique product attributes.
- Ask yourself the questions your audience is asking themselves, such as “What am I looking for?” Write down your answers and add the most relevant words to your list.
- Existing products have data to accompany them. Utilize external resources and reports to help do some of the heavy lifting to discover product targets and unique keywords that could perform well for your products.
Key goals to focus on when setting up campaigns for new product launches [ 02:42]
Keyword sourcing for new product launch [05:15]
Strategies to implement after sourcing keywords for new products [07:29]
Keyword and Product Targeting Research for seasoned sellers- power of the search term report [09:18]
Keyword and Product Targeting Research for seasoned sellers – Amazon search query [12:11]
Product Targeting Research for seasoned sellers – brand analytics reports [13:25]
Amazon auto-fill for keyword research [14:50]
Targeting Alternative languages in different markets [15:47]
Our take on using external tools for keyword research [17:49]
Other ways to research product targets [18:52]